Monday, October 17, 2011

The History of Us: Part I

Every relationship has a story. And so did mine and Carrie's. A story a lot like many other stories, but different in many ways too. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. And the beginning was about as happy a beginning can possibly be; while the ending is about as tragic as an ending can be.
Carrie and I worked together. We were both tellers at a local bank. I had just graduated from college and Carrie had been released from the Army on a medical discharge about 3 months earlier. I remember meeting Carrie but I don't remember much else. Because there really isn't anything else to remember. The day we met my car stereo had been stolen - ripped right out of the dashboard - overnight while my car sat in front of my house. So, I was more than a little preoccupied when I met her.
But it would be a few months before I found myself caring for her. I remember the exact moments when I knew I was attracted to her and when I knew I was more than attracted to her. The first was when I walked out to drive thru to grab a cash order from her. The heater was stuck on in that room so the temperature was nearly 100 degrees. When I opened the door Carrie turned around looking so annoyed with red cheeks and beads of sweat on her forehead. Not exactly the type of situation that lends itself to sexiness, yet something struck me and I suddenly saw her in a different light.
Not long after that, Carrie's car was stolen from the mall parking lot. She was telling me how the security guard kept telling her that she just forgot where she parked it. He didn't call the police for 3 hours. That made me so mad. I almost picked up the phone and called the security office. I felt such a need to help her. She seemed to be in need for the help. It was the first time we'd play those roles - roles that became all too familiar throughout our marriage. A couple weeks later I asked her out to Happy Hour. She said she'd stop by and the die was cast.
Looking back now, it seems so fitting that it all started with drinking and in a bar. Because that's pretty much how it ended too.

Read On: Part II 

No comments:

Post a Comment