Thursday, October 13, 2011

Girls Without a Mother

I'm a private person. Mostly. And when it comes to my kids, I absolutely tight lipped and ultra-protective of them. That's why I debated about whether I should even include them in this blog. (Obviously I had to sense they are such a huge part of my life.) I also figured it might be best if I kept their gender secret. But now I think that will prove too difficult. Because the fact that they are girls is as important as any other fact - including that they are kids growing up without a mother in their lives.

It's a common belief that all little girls need a mother. Just like all little boys need their fathers. In fact, there are a lot of theories out there that blame much of society's problems on the fact that so many boys have grown up without fathers in their lives. I can't say I disagree with the root of these theories - there's definitely something to them. Just like I don't disagree with the notion that little girls need a mom in their lives.

But the simple fact of the matter is this: My girls don't have a mom who is around and that probably isn't going to change. I can either mourn over everyday, or I can file that knowledge away and be the best dad I can be. I can't completely make-up for mom being gone, but I can try to soften the blow.

And that's all I can and will continue to do. Show my girls tenderness. Teach them compassion. Give them love.

And maybe someday they will be the good mother's that their own mother couldn't be. Or at least, they could be good human beings.

I like to think that the chances of both of those things happening are a little better than just maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment